Skip to main content

Day 1 in Manali: Rain, Thukpa & Our First Mountain Day

 

Day 1 in Manali: Rain, Cold & Another Hotel Disaster!

Finally… Day 1 in Manali! Yeeeppie! 🥳

After such a long journey, I was finally here—the mountains I'd been waiting for.

But of course, my trip couldn't begin that easily. 😂

Yes, I had booked a hotel this time too.

And yes… that turned out to be another bad decision.

The hotel looked perfectly fine online, but in reality, it was a completely different story. So we had to make another last-minute hotel change.

And this time, it wasn't exactly pleasant.

It was around -2°C, it was raining, and I was already completely exhausted from the journey. We were standing there in the cold with our luggage, trying to figure out where we were going to stay.

I was literally freezing.

But hey, we had finally made it to Manali.

And somehow, even while shivering in the rain, I was still excited.

After searching around, we finally found a hotel right near Mall Road. And honestly, this time we got lucky. The location was super convenient because everything we needed was nearby—restaurants, shops, taxis, and of course, Mall Road itself.

We checked in, dropped our bags, rested for a while, and freshened up. After the long journey and all the hotel drama, it felt so good to finally sit down and breathe.

Once we were ready, we headed out to explore and, most importantly, eat!

Our first stop was Mall Road, and we went straight to Chopsticks Restaurant for thukpa.

We ordered one huge bowl and decided to share it between the two of us. Honestly, one bowl was more than enough because the portion was massive!

It was warm, comforting, full of noodles and vegetables, and exactly what we needed in that chilly weather. There's something about eating a hot bowl of thukpa while it's cold and raining outside that just hits differently.

After that, we spent the rest of the day doing absolutely nothing fancy.

And honestly, I loved it.

We just walked around, looked at the mountains, explored the streets, ate whenever we felt hungry, and enjoyed being there.

No big plans.

No rushing from one tourist spot to another.

Just mountains, rain, food and us.

I even stopped for a cup of hot chai in the afternoon because apparently, when you're in the mountains and it's raining, chai is mandatory. 😂

Eventually, the rain got heavier, so we hurried back towards the hotel.

And, of course, I went straight to the reception to ask for a heater.

The manager looked at me and casually said,

"You won't need it."

Excuse me?!

We had literally come from around 30°C to freezing temperatures in the mountains. And he was telling me I wouldn't need a heater?

I was thinking, "Dude, I might actually freeze here!" 😂

So yes, I took the heater anyway.

Although, to be honest, the cold was so intense that even the heater didn't feel like it was doing much. But at least I felt a little better knowing it was there.

By evening, we were hungry again, so we grabbed some momos and siddu from a place right around the corner.

Both were really good, but they were also surprisingly heavy. I was so full that I decided to skip dinner completely.

After such a long day, all I wanted was my warm bed.

So I called it a night, curled up under the blankets, and went to sleep.

It wasn't an adventurous first day in Manali.

There were no big activities, no crazy adventures, and no packed itinerary.

It was simply rain, mountains, warm food, chai, cold weather, and a lot of walking around.

But honestly?

It was exactly the kind of mountain day I had been waiting for.

And this was only Day 1.

I had no idea that the next day would be completely different. ❄️🏔️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to go back, Spent half day in Kolhapur 29 March 2024

Our Malvan trip ends here. We had breakfast and then headed to Kolhapur, and later Pune. Initially, we had a train scheduled for the night from Kolhapur to Pune, but it got cancelled. Therefore, we decided to stay in Kolhapur for a day. Since there were no buses available directly from Malvan to Kolhapur, we opted to go to Kankavli first, where we could find buses to Kolhapur. We arrived in Kolhapur in the afternoon, checked into the hotel, freshened up, ordered misal, which we thought would be spicy but turned out to be good, and then proceeded straight to the Mahalaxmi Mandir. Due to it being Friday, there was a large crowd, and we ended up waiting in line for about 20-30 minutes. After having our darshan, we returned to the hotel as it was already 8pm. We had a light dinner at the hotel and then went to sleep, as our bodies needed to recharge after thoroughly enjoying our time in Malvan. Xoxo ❤️  Gujjugirl

A Cozy Night at Si Nonna’s: Pizza, Croquettes, and a Surprisingly Heartwarming Gelato

Recently, I visited Si Nonna’s again. I hadn’t planned on going back, but it just happened. It was a very cold night, and I was craving pizza, so we decided to go there. This time, we ordered pizza number 4, which consisted of fior di latte mozzarella, ricotta cheese, blue cheese, aged parmesan, homemade jalapeño salsa, homemade cherry tomato confit, fresh basil, and EVOO. We also ordered mozzarella and jalapeño croquettes. First, the croquettes arrived. They were okay, but not great. The filling was small, and there wasn’t enough of it, so I wasn’t particularly impressed. Then, our pizza came. We added a little more olive oil and tried to do a cheese pull, but it didn’t work out as expected. However, the taste of the pizza was really good — flavorful and satisfying. Although we were pretty full, there’s always room for dessert, right? I saw gelato and decided to try some. I ordered Sicilian pistachio gelato. It turned out to be delicious — so tasty from the very first bite. I stil...

overnight oats- how i make my overnight oats

How I Make My Overnight Oats RECIPE Ingredients: • Oats - 5 tbsp • Chia seeds - 2 tbsp • Honey - 1 tbsp • Milk or water - enough to soak • Yogurt - 3 tbsp • Nuts and seeds - 2 tsp • Banana - 1 Method: 1. First, add the oats and chia seeds to a bowl, then pour in milk or water. Mix well to combine. 2.Add the yogurt on top and stir to combine again. 3.Next, add 2 chopped dates, 4 almonds, and seeds like pumpkin, flax, and sunflower. Sometimes, I also add dried cranberries and raisins. 4.Drizzle honey on top, give it a final mix, and refrigerate for at least 8-10 hours. 5.In the morning, add some chopped banana or other fruits or berries, and enjoy it for breakfast.